Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The fight against consumerism

This is an area that I've struggled with for a long time. I'm one of those "next new things" kinda gals. My eyes are attracted (distracted?) by the shiny and fresh. I like technology, design, efficiency, and, well, newness. This is diabolical recipe for accumulating a LOT of stuff.

Zen Habits never fails to make me think. Daily. And today, a guest blogger provides "9 Tips to Throw off the Chains of Consumerism." He begins by reminding us

You already have everything you need. Those of us lucky enough to have been born in this time period in the Western world are experiencing an abundance few of our ancestors could have claimed. Food, clean water, shelter, law and order are almost guaranteed.

Why doesn’t it feel this way? Despite this amazing abundance, why are so many people dissatisfied? Are we doomed to always want more than we have, even if it won’t bring us more happiness?
Go there to read the rest (and get the 9 tips!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jannie! I'm so sorry I haven't come by in awhile to see you here. I haven't even answered your question about whether or not we're moving to Peterborough! NO! We've decided to stay where we are - and we're not disappointed really.
I've been meaning to read Pioneer Woman's blog story too, by the way, but haven't had the time. I like her blog too.
I've moved to wordpress blogs now, instead of the homeschooling blogs - so you can find me at the following url: http://www.randomlyselectedthoughts.wordpress.com
Hope to see ya there, kiddo.
And if you want a pretty banner or something for this new blogger template, or some spiffing up or a signature or something, let me know. roalgeroc@yahoo dot com
Oh - and thanks for the link to the Zen article...going there next. Looks interesting.
God bless..
Alexa