Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Gelato! I made some!

Have I mentioned before how much I love my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer? Yep, just like the one Oprah gave away on her Favorite Things show yesterday.

A couple of years ago, I received an ice cream maker attachment for it for Christmas. You stick it in the freezer for a day, make up your ice cream/sorbet/gelato recipe, attach the bowl to the stand mixer, and let 'er rip.

I made some yummy pineapple sorbet when I first got it, and then the freezer got too full to keep the bowl inside, so it was relegated to a back shelf of a kitchen cupboard. I recently got it out again, and yesterday made a triple citrus gelato (the recipe was adapted from Gelato, Sorbet and Ice Cream.)

Wowzie!

I used some grapefruit, oranges, and a lemon that were past their prime. You bring the juice, some sugar (okay, a LOT of sugar), and zest from the fruit to a boil. Then let it chill in the fridge for a few hours. Add a couple of beaten egg whites (optional) and then churn. Then freeze it for a few hours.

I don't think i chilled it enough before churning because what was supposed to be a 12-15 minute churn took an hour. But it finally "converted" (the technical ice-cream making term for turning slushy).

It was very intensely flavoured. Half a cup was plenty to get that after-dinner sugar rush and cleanse the palate. The kids were a little overwhelmed by the flavour, but then they tend to go for quantity over quality (being teenage boys). Z thought it was great.

Once we've finished up the leftovers, I'm going to try my hand at some vanilla ice cream.

No comments: