Sunday, September 28, 2008

Choir report

Turnout for choir was pretty light today, so we did some unison stuff.  During the Offering, we sang  Peace Prayer (John Foley, SJ) in unison.  It's in one of the hymnals in the pews so the congregation was invited to join us.  During Communion, we sang The Call.  Both the music (R. Vaughn Williams) and text (by George Herbert) are gorgeous.   Here's an mp3 of a soloist singing this piece.

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life:
Such a Way, as gives us breath:
Such a Truth, as ends all strife:
Such a Life, as killeth death.

Come, My Light, my Feast, my Strength:
Such a Light, as shows a feast:
Such a Feast, as mends in length:
Such a Strength, as makes his guest.

Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart:
Such a Joy, as none can move:
Such a Love, as none can part:
Such a Heart, as joys in love.

The processional hymn was Love Divine, All Loves Excelling (tune: Hyfrydol).  I noticed a funny wording change that I think doesn't work.  Orginally (at least as I have always sung it), the third line of the first verse goes "Fix in us thy humble dwelling."  In our current hymnal (Catholic Book of Worship III), the line reads "Fix us in thy humble dwelling."   Is it just me, or does that not change the meaning of Wesley's beautiful words?

The recessional was O Praise the Lord, Sing Unto God, sung to Ellacombe.

No comments: