Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Enchiladas!

One of the things that I miss about living in Atlanta was access to lots of Mexican food, both in restaurants (in both cheap and higher-end categories) and in grocery stores.  We probably ate out at our local tacqueria once a week, and I had more margaritas in those five years than in my entire 40 years of life before Atlanta.  Good times, good times....

We had a hankering for enchiladas this week and I have been unable to find enchilada sauce in my local grocery stores.  So I set out to find a recipe online.  

Who knew that it was so easy to make?  Why was I buying it ready-made for so long?  Next thing you know I'll be making my own tortililas.  (Yes, I know that there are home cooks who do this.)

Anyway, here's my fast and easy recipe for enchilada sauce.  I found a recipe online and modified it to suit my available ingredients.

Heat 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a skillet and add 2 tbsp of flour and 2 tbsp of chili powder (or to taste).  Cook this for a while. (The recipe said until it turns light brown, but the chili powder is dark red...couldn't figure out how this would work exactly.)

Stir in 20 ounces (2-1/2 cups) of some sort of tomato mixture.  Recipe was a combination of tomato sauce (8 oz) and water (1-1/2 cups).   I used some leftover canned diced tomatos that I whizzed in the blender.  That yielded exactly 20 ounces.  Spooky, eh?  Add 1/4 tsp each cumin, garlic powder, onion salt, and salt to taste.  I left out the regular salt.  It seemed fine to me without it.  Cook this mixture for 10 minutes so that it gets bubbly and thickens a little..

And that's it!  Ten minutes, and I even used up leftovers!

It's cooling on the stove now.  I'll box it up and use it tonight when I make enchiladas for my adoring family.  

4 comments:

cluttercontotrol said...

Wow - that is easy! I'll have to try it. Got any recipes for green sauce? That's my favorite for chicken and jack cheese enchiladas.

owenswain said...

What? Nothing to say about last night's election in the States? Thank God, someone not talking about it.

Janet in Toronto said...

Nothing to say about last night...for two reasons.

1) Living in Atlanta for five years taught me to keep my mouth shut when it comes to US politics. I don't fall neatly into either the Dem or Rep camp (were I eligible to be in a camp), but I didn't find a lot of like-minded people there.

and

2) Enough already! Two years of this. I'm do done. It's not that I don't care, but I'd rather think about enchiladas at this point.

Carol said...

Thanks for the recipe! Can't wait to try it!