Friday, July 24, 2009

Seven Quick Takes Friday

[7_quick_takes.jpg]

1. I had lunch on Wednesday with a friend I hadn't seen since high school. That's 30 years, folks! It was great...we ate outside on a rear patio at Terroni on Queen W and chatted about mutual friends (most of whom we've lost contact with), the past, the present, and the future. I hope we'll get together again soon with another old friend who's also in town.

2. I stopped taking my daily allergy med last week as the pollen counts have been really low, but I've started waking up with headaches again, so I'm getting back on it. I know that my sinuses are connected to the migraines, so who knows?

3. Had a nice day away last Friday with a couple of university friends. Toronto gal and I drove to see Cambridge-Ontario gal, hoping to spend the day around her pool drinking Mike's. The weather didn't hold up, so we spent some time at the mall (including brow waxes for two of us), had lunch out, and then hung out in air-conditioned comfort inside. Her brother-in-law cooked us a lovely dinner. We managed to miss major rain storms on our way back to Toronto.

4. Bought a piece of gorgeous cotton for a summer skirt a month ago. Now I'm thinking that I want to wait until I drop a few pounds, which means I won't be able to wear it until next summer.

5. Our area is going to Smart Meters for electricity soon. This means that there are three different rates you pay for power, depending on the time of day, season (winter vs. summer) and weekday/weekend. The lowest rate is between 10 pm and 7 am, and all day Saturday and Sunday. The "off-peak" rate in summer is 7-11 am and 5-10 pm, so I've been trying to do a load of laundry every day before 11 am, which means I have to get it in by 8:30. I've also been trying to remember to program my dishwasher to run after 10 pm. I wish I had a place for an outdoor clothes line....

6. Our master bath toilet is leaking around the base. Dang. Z and I will try to install a new wax ring ourselves tomorrow so I'm off to Home Hardeware to pick one up later today.

7. I tried out a natural fruit fly trap that I read about on a homeschool discussion board. I put some apple cider vinegar in a glass and wrapped some plastic wrap over top, punching some holes through it. It seems to be working, although I had to move all the fruit to the fridge before they approached the cider. There are a dozen or so dead flies in there after a couple of days.

1 comment:

Erin @ Sky Blue Pink Roses said...

Thanks for the fruit fly trap instructions. Ever since moving to a new house in June, I've had a problem with fruit flies, so I will try that.