Sunday, November 15, 2009

A quiet day

I awoke early this morning with a horrific migraine.  I'm not sure what the trigger was....I once again forgot to turn on the air purifier in our bedroom and I've noticed a correlation with morning headaches.  I had a beer, wings, and ceasar salad before seeing a movie last night, and didn't go to bed particularly late. So who knows.

But I took a Zomig at 4:30 this morning and the acute stage had passed when I woke up again around 7.   But the post-headache body-ache and general feeling of malaise kept me at home from choir and mass today, and I've spent much of the afternoon lying on the sofa, reading and napping.

I'm in the middle of Rapt: Attention and the Focused Life

Media_httpwwwassocama_tdjmw
 by Winnifred Gallagher, an important book for those of us who feel scattered and have difficulty focusing.  At the end of the Introduction, Gallagher writes:
Perhaps the most important things I've learned are that it shouldn't take a crisis to show you that your life is the sum total of what you focus on or to make you question the notion that your well-being depends on what happens to you.
The books explains the science behind focus and how we can teach ourselves to live a more focussed life.  It is am important reminder that we have, every minute of every day, the opportunity to make our lives:  that our lives don't just happen to us.

And so ends Week 2 of NaBloPoMo!

No comments: