Monday, December 21, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook


For Today, Monday December 21, 2009

Outside my window...it's grey and cold!  Everything is still as we wait for the big snow dump that our neighbours to the south just got.  I finally got a couple of Christmas decorations up over the weekend....a couple of bows on our light fixtures and a wreath on the door.  It's really Advent now, right?  So I'm not late, but early!

I am thinking...about the few remaining things I need to get done today.  A little shopping, a few errands, and preparing a room for Alex who arrives home from Queen's tonight!

I am thankful for...my family, who will be getting together often over the holidays.  For Alex who gets home from his first semester at Queen's.  For my mom who arrives on Wednesday.  For my mother-in-law who is here for a month to celebrate with us.  For Michael, who has finished his first semester of high school and is sleeping in this morning!  And for my dear Z who works today and tomorrow and is then off for six days.

I am learning....how to cook delicious middle-eastern food from my mother-in-law.  Seriously awesome food.  Good thing that Middle Eastern men like their women with a little flesh on their bones!

From the kitchen...see above!  Plus I want to make this sinfully good-looking Chex mix this week.  Must find Canadian equivalent to Wheat Chex.

I am wearing...pyjamas.  With sheep on them.

I am creating...hmmm....not much other than food these days!  I bought some black Zara yarn (Filatura Di Crosa) to make some mittens for Michael, but they're not on the needles yet!

I am going...to run errands today:  cleaners, grocery, pet food store, hardware store.  Plus pick up a couple of gifts and another trial contact lens.

I am reading...Alex and Zee by Cordelia Strube.  And Why Kids Don't Succeed at School by Daniel T. Willingham.  I've just started the first, and so far, so good.  Strube is a Toronto-based author and this is her first novel.  The second is aimed at teachers, but has lots of good ideas about how to support student learning.  I recently finished Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger.  A completely magical read.  Highly recommended!

I am hoping...that Alex feels okay about his Calculus exam today.  He's had a rough go with his exams this month, and is feeling kind of discouraged.  He'll be home tonight for three weeks of relaxation, home cooking, and lots of lovin'.

I am hearing...Wilson barking.  Probably the letter carrier!

Around the house...we're feeling kinda festive these days, with our tree and stockings up.  Time to finish wrapping gifts and nestle them under the tree, methinks.

One of my favorite things...is my new iPhone.  Seriously.  I'd have it's babies.

A few plans for the rest of the week: First of all, can we just stop calling it "Boxing Week"???  We're attending the Toronto Symphony with the Canadian Brass tomorrow night.  The Z is taking his mom to see The Sound of Music on Wednesday afternoon. Christmas Eve will be spent at my brother's house before my choir gig at Midnight Mass.  I also sing Christmas Day at 11:30, and then we'll host my brother and family for dinner that afternoon.  On Sunday, we're invited to friends for lunch after mass.  And next Monday, I'm taking my mom to see Fiddler on the Roof.

Visit our hostess to view more daybooks!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Merry Christmas to your family. I enjoyed my first visit. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your daybook. I've enjoyed my visit. Enjoy your errands!

May you and your family have a Christmas filled with many blessings!
~Tamara
BranchOfWisdom.com

P.S. You are invited to drop by my blog on 12/27 and enter my New Year's Giveaway!