Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ten (actually 15) on Tuesday





I missed last week's challenge, but I'm back for fifteen questions from Chelsea's Aunt Bonnie!


1. If you could change anything about your physical appearance, what would it be?
I'd like my stomach muscles back.  And slightly less frizz to my hair.

2. Is there a habit in others that you find annoying?
Walking around the house when brushing your teeth.  Sadly, one of my teen sons has picked up this habit.  I wonder who from?  Second is walking around the house shaving with an electric razor.  "He" claims all the hairs are caught by the razor, but I highly doubt it.

3. What is your favorite recipe using ground beef?
My mother-in-law's football shaped kibbeh.  The outer shell has ground meat mixed with bulgur.  The inside has ground meat with spices and pine nuts.  Three in the microwave with some sour cream....heaven on earth!

4. What was your favorite book as a kid?
Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh.  I wanted to step into that book so badly.

5. Did you work as a teenager and if so, where?
I worked in the summers.  Once for my mom, stepping in for the nurse-receptionist in her OB-GYN practice.  Once for a boyfriend's father as a secretary in his small engineering firm.  One summer at Statistics Canada, optimizing retrival times from the CANSIM database (and knitting in the down times) and one summer at Defense Canada in the Defence Research Engineering Operations, doing simulations of bombing runs over airfields.

6. Did you work while in college and if so, where?
I worked one night a week in the Math Library.  It was really just hanging out with my friends and doing homework.  A tiny amount of circulation and shelving duties.  In the summers, I worked as a research assistant to professors in the math and sociology departments.  In grad school, I was a TA, running tutorials and marking homework.

7. When you go to sleep do you like total darkness or semi? When you go to sleep do you need quiet or is some noise ok?
I like total darkness, but my clock radio gives off some light, as does my air purifier.  I can deal with noise.  I fall asleep the minute my head hits the pillow.

8. When doing laundry, fabric softener or not?
I use a generic-brand scent-free dryer sheet to prevent static cling. To be honest, it's a habit at this point.  I don't even know if it's necessary, particularly in the summer when it's not dry in the house.

9. Open toed or closed toed shoes?
Both.  Clearly, in winter, there is not much choice here, but in summer, it's open toed all the way.  I pretty much live in my Birkenstoks. I even wear them with socks in the spring and fall.

10. Would you rather be blind or deaf?
This is excruciatingly difficult as I cannot imagine my life without music, but I'd have to say being blind would be more difficult.

11. Dangle or stud earrings?
Dangle.  I have shoulder-length thick hair and studs just get lost in the thicket.

12. Bottled water or tap?
Tap.  Toronto water is pretty great, and we use a Brita filter to get out any traces of nastiness.  I love San Pellegrino sparkling though.

13. What do you put on pancakes?
Butter and maple syrup from our family sugar-bush.  Bananas under the syrup are good too.  Or ricotta cheese.  Plus making extremely eggy pancakes is a plus!

14. On a long trip would you rather drive or fly?
Depends what you mean by long.  Under five hours, I'd rather drive.  Over a five hour drive, I'd rather fly. Flying has become a big PITA these days, and the hassle has to be worth it.

15. Do you prefer classic old movies or new?
Another toughie.  In general, if I had to watch a random movie from a given time period, I'd prefer old.  But certain modern ones are terrific.

Go visit Roots and Rings for more answers!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

4. Did you ever watch the movie? I've always wondered if it's anything like the book.

12. San Pellegrino is awesome!

Chelsea said...

2. Eww! I'm sure there are tiny hairs all over your. I hate seeing those tiny hairs in the sink. Eww eww eww.

Anna said...

Re. #4: I actually still have a journal that I started during my 'Harriet' days in which I wrote IN CAPITALS JUST LIKE HARRIET THE SPY. And try finding an egg cream in San Diego in the early 80's...