Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Congratulations to Rob Teehan on his Juno nomination!

Rob Teehan, Michael's tuba teacher, has been nominated for a 2010 Juno award for Classical Composition of the Year.  Dreams of Flying was composed for the NYOC while he was composer-in-residence last summer.  We heard it when the Orchestra played at Roy Thompson Hall last summer and I've got it on my iPod.  You can listen to it here at CBC Radio 2 Concerts on Demand.  (Look for the misnomer "Bob Teehan"...they better get that fixed up pronto!).  The orchestra was also nominated (or the first time) for Classical Album of the Year: Large Ensemble.

Six days ago, I was sending my regular email to Rob regarding setting up a lesson for Michael and added this:

I was listening to the NYOC recording of [Dreams of Flying] on the subway yesterday, and realized that it would be the perfect score for a movie about immigrants to Canada crossing the country by train to their new home.  It capture both the rhythm of the train and the hopes (and dreams) of a new country/new opportunities. It was so evocative that I started to feel like **I** was part of a film shoot, sitting there on the Spadina line with my ipod, LOL!

Thanks for inadvertently helping me pass the time...I"m not usually such a daydreamer.

Who knew I had such great taste in music!  

Congrats to Rob. He's 27, and it was his first composition for orchestra.  Whew!  Press release here.

No comments: