Friday, May 28, 2010

Georgia on my mind.

Yesterday, Z got a call from a colleague from our time in Atlanta (2002-2007), and I've been thinking about those days.  And then Alex linked to a Soul Train video in his not-yet-public blog and I started to get really misty-eyed.  It was a great experience, and I'm so glad we took the plunge and went south for five years.  For me, it was a life-changing time...some time I'll post the story of my journey to Catholicism, but it happened in the Deep South through a series of events and circumstances that had been accumulating over many years. And then we moved from Ottawa to Norcross, into a particular parish, with a set of wonderful people, priests, deacons, and teachers.

But Atlanta was more than that.  It was a foray into a different culture.  A different way of being almost.  Like any move to a new place, you start out being critical, but slowly you start to get it, for better or worse.  I will always have a fondness for Georgia.  I'll always be ready to hop on a plane if the opportunity presents itself.  And Gladys Knight always takes me back...

No comments: