Friday, July 9, 2010

Becoming a better writer, or maybe just get more out of life. Musings from a literary agent.

Followed a tweet to this wonderful list from a literary agent Rachelle Gardner titled "How to become a better writer:  11 non-writing related ideas".  I love this list, not only because I enjoy writing and would like to incorporate more of it into everyday life as well as my genealogical work, but also because it's good advice for life.

She begins:

1. Be creative any way you can. Cook new recipes. Paint a picture. Design a garden. Compose a song. Build something with Legos. Organize the garage.

2. Pay attention. Observe the mannerisms of people around you. Listen to how they speak. Marvel at the way they're dressed. Notice their shoes and their posture and the look in their eye....

Go to her post to read the entire list.  It's food for thought.

2 comments:

Juicy Mango (aka Karlene Joseph) said...

My creativity - facebook status...notes...I make it a point to look into the eyes of folks around me! I think it makes such a difference to my interactions. Especially: waiters, cashiers in groceries, toll booth attendants.... I feel like I am connected to everyone - I look for my soul.

Janet Berkman said...

<div id="WISESTAMP_SIG_5436"><span style="font-size: 13.3px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;">You got it, Karlene.</span></div>