Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Simple Woman's Daybook - 7 July 2010

 

Outside my window...

…it's hot-hot-hot.  So hot that the dog is spending the day lying on the cool tile.  So hot that I cannot contemplate turning on the stove to make a meal.  So hot that I might even jump in the lake at the cottage this weekend.

I am thinking...
…about the Renaissance music I’ve been singing with my summer choir, The Voices of St. Francis.  It gets in your head and for days after rehearsal, it bounces around between my ears.

I am thankful for...
…my first fifty years, in which most of my dreams have come true.

From the kitchen...
…I’m thinking about salad with grilled chicken, harboiled eggs, and mango slices for dinner tonight.

I am wearing...
….a sleeveless cotton knit v-neck top, linen a-line skirt, and just the bare necessities underneath. And a hairband to keep my neck cool.

I am creating...
….a quilt for our bed in a Jacob’s Ladder pattern.  From 101 Fabulous Rotary Cut Quilts.  I’ve been a bit hampered by the heat and my lack of desire to iron, so I’m stalled at the end of the first step.

I am going...
…up to the cottage this weekend to see my family and relax in and around the lake.

I am reading...
The Irresistable Henry House by Lisa Grunwald.  A wonderful novel of a boy who is raised in a "practice house" for aspiring homemakers. Hard to put down.

I am hoping...
…to get going on some embroidery.  It’s such a wonderful way to beautify ordinary household stuff.  Check out these pillows!

I am hearing...
…faint sounds of lawn mowers, the washing machine, and my dog’s active dreaming.

Around the house...
…I need to get a handle on our bedroom, where my ironing pile is growing wild and I need to hem our new curtains.

One of my favorite things...
… is all the wonderful summer fruit and vegetables that are appearing in the markets these days.   

A few plans for the rest of the week:
This week is pretty plan-free!  My fiftieth birthday is on Friday, and I’ll be heading up to the cottage to spend the weekend with some extended family. In the remaining days, I’d like to crank up the quilting and get one genealogy course finished and another one started.

Here is picture for thought I am sharing... 

I love this picture of Z and Alex.  It was taken in a creperie in the Quartier Latin when we were in Paris a few weeks ago. In a rare stroke of solidarity, they both used it for their Facebook profile picture!

Img_0552

 
The Simple Woman’s Daybook is brought to us at.http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/ .  Head over there to join the fun!

 

No comments: