Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It feels like Monday....what am I reading?

This feels like a relatively calm week.  My mom is in town until Sunday and my brother-in-law Philippe is visiting from France for a couple of days (he's mainly staying in Montreal with his son).  Zouheir will take him to Kitchener-Waterloo for Oktoberfest on the weekend.

I have a brief (I hope) meeting at the church tomorrow night, and then Mom and I are going to see A Disappearing Number, a play broadcast in HD from the UK, on Thursday evening.  She's attending a meeting at Regis College on Friday and Saturday that is being hosted by the Lupina Centre for Spirituality, Healthcare, and Ethics, and she heads home on Sunday.

I need to get the housework under control, and am looking to Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson to help me get some routines set up.  

Otherwise, I've got the following reading on the go:

  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett:  I've said it before, and you're probably bored by now, but this is a terrific book.  I'm listening to the audiobook version and it's stunning.  It tells the story of the relationship between African-American maids and the families in which they work.  Set in the early '60s in Mississippi, there is something for everyone here. It looks at not just the maid-family issues, but issues within each of the communities. 
  • I just finished Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell.  As I mentioned previously, I'm not enjoying this as much as her earlier books.  It seems kind of forced, and I clearly missed some significant events in previous books that I didn't read because the backstory had moved significantly forward. On top of this, I don't know whether it's my aging brain, but her choices of names for characters were very confusing:  Berger, Benton, and Lester all work with her; Marino and Morales are both cops.  I'm not sure that I'll pick up another Kay Scarpetta novel.
  • Next up is Where There's a Will: A Nero Wolfe Mystery by Rex Stout.  I don't think I've ever read a Nero Wolfe novel (although I watched some on TV in the past), but it's part of my Goodreads Seasonal Reading Challenge this fall. It should be a quickie.  After that I'm on to The Switch by Sandra Brown.
  • I'm plodding away on Clouds of Witness by Dorothy Sayers on my Kindle.  I haven't had much time away from home for reading, which is where most of my Kindle activity takes place when I have a stack of library books to go through, but I want to make progress on this over the next week.
  • I've got one more chapter of Terry Fallis' The High Road to finish up on my iPhone.  I've been listening to the free podcast from iTunes, but it's now available in stores and is a terrific follow-up to his Stephen Leacock Award-winning first political satire, The Best Laid Plans.  I highly recommend both books!

No comments: