Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Writing every day.

Nablopomo
Visit NaBloPoMo

I'm doing NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) again, and will try for monthly.  It's a movement to encourage bloggers to post every day for a month, to make it part of a routine.  This encouragement takes the form of various blogrolls for members to visit and encourage, daily writing prompts, various groups to join, etc. 

Writing daily is important to me, although it tends to go by the wayside when things get busy.  I keep a couple of journals as well as this blog, and NaBloPoMo is just one more way to keep me focussed on this practice.  I did a lot of writing in my salary-days:  research reports, regulatory writing, white papers, marketing briefs, and innumerable presentation decks (although I'd argue that those don't really count, if anyone's counting.)  But writing from my head, generating my own ideas, organizing them coherently and making an argument or taking a position of my own (and not on behalf of a business unit or corporation) is a whole new ballgame.

I am interested in the writing process.  My personal blogging seems like the poor cousin in a way as I rarely edit beyond punctuation and spelling. And maybe a bit of paragraph reorganization.  But I'd like to work more on this, planning my posts in advance and spending more time crafting them coherently.  It'll come with time and practice, I'm sure.

 

No comments: