Friday, March 18, 2011

His Illegal Self by Peter Carey: my review from Goodreads.

His Illegal SelfHis Illegal Self by Peter Carey
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Reviewers' problems with following the narration were perhaps mitigated with audiobook version that I listened to. I found this a completely absorbing novel, with facts that are revealed slowly and a point of view that changes between the two main characters. Set in the 70s, mother-figure Anna/Dile, kidnaps Che/Jay, and takes him from his privileged New York home to the outback of Australia. Their relationship, as well as the one with their friend/protector, Trevor, forms the main core of the story. I found the emotions very believable and enjoyed the political drama against which the novel is set.

Narration by Stefan Rudnicki is outstanding.

View all my reviews

No comments: