Monday, June 6, 2011

It's Monday....what am I reading?

Well, I finished up last quarter's Seasonal Reading Challenge with my best score ever!  So I'm on to a new reading list and heading full steam ahead. Last week I finished up a couple of Peter Robinson mysteries and The Silver Pigs on audio, just under the May 31st wire for the challenge.  I already had a bunch of books checked out of the library for the new challenge and whipped off a few right away:

  • The Sunday Wife by Cassandra King.  A middle-aged woman discovers who she is apart from her role as a minister's wife.  Set in the South, I really enjoyed this novel. 
  • Lovers by Vendela Vida.  I didn't know what to expect from this and came away thoroughly satisfied.  A middle-aged widow returns to a villiage in Turkey where she and her late husband spent their honeymoon.  She meets a peculiar cast of characters and has insights into this stage of her life.  Hard to put down.
  • The Eternal Smile: Three Stories by Gene Luen Yang. A collection of appealing graphic stories, light on text.
  • Thrifty: Living the Frugal Life with Style by Marjorie Harris.  I wanted to like this, and the sections with stories about Margaret Atwood are interesting, but there's not much new here for someone already actively pursing this kind of lifestyle.
  • An Invisible Sign of My Own by Aimee Bender. An odd little book, one that I should have loved given the protagonists peculiar relationship with numbers (something like mine), but I had difficulty "getting" it.  Loved her novel The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake though.

Currently on board are

  • Blue Dahlia by Nora Roberts.  A guilty pleasure, Roberts' stories.  I'm listening to this gardening-oriented book (first of a trilogy) on my iphone. Besides gardening, it's got love, lust, a ghost, children, a dog, and Southerners....all great subjects for a romance novel!
  • An Experiment in Love by Hilary Mantel.  I picked up Wolf Hall when I was in England and found it in a seaside cafe, used, for a pound.  I've had An Experiment in Love on hold for a while, so want to get this one read before it's due back at the library.
  • A Connecticut Yankee At King Arthurs Court by Mark Twain.  My friend Kathleen is just about through War and Peace via DailyLit (the email-based service that sends you a short bit of a novel every day to help you get through the classics.)  I read a couple of books this way years ago, but she's encouraged me to give it another go. I get the bits in my feed reader every morning. This book has 142 parts and I'm reading two a day do it will take me about 10 weeks to read.

Up next:

  • Richard III by WIlliam Shakespeare.  I'm heading to see the play at Stratford with some girlfriends in a couple of weeks and had better get this under my belt by then
  • How Shakespeare Changed Everything by Steven Marche.  This is a quick read and has been widely (and well) reviewed, so it's in my bag.
  • The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman. A debut novel that's getting raves.
  • The Likeness by Tana French.  A great new-ish voice in the police procedural genre.  Looking forward to this, her second book.

As always, you can check out the settings of my books on this google map Where Am I Reading 2011?

    [googlemaps https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=206254543202752699402.000499ee1d9233240f116&ll=16.476711,8.528138&spn=78.951127,-88.599243&output=embed&w=425&h=350]

3 comments:

heather said...

I love the Marcus Didius Falco series.

Sherrie said...

Hi!Sounds like a great list of books. I read Tanna French's last book. I'll have to check this one out. Have a great day!SherrieJust Books

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

The Sunday Wife sounds good - I really enjoy Cassandra King.