Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The neutrality of facts?

From Chapter 2 of my current audiobook The Last Summer (Of You and Me) by Ann Brashares. Alice and Paul are lifelong friends.

[Alice] knew things she shouldn't have known.  She knew things Paul had not told her, things he probably didn't know. Alice hated that, and faulted her mother for having ever told her. Her mother was too keen on information, too quick to belive in the neutrality of facts, just because they were true.

"It's the journalist in me" her mother claimed, managing to praise herself even in apology.

This jumped out at me as I was listening, so much that I rewound and transcribed the text.

I suspect that I have this tendency myself, to use facts in ways that might be gossipy or hurtful or in other ways that have the potential to break trust. The passage reminds mne that sometimes there is a burden placed on the receiver of such facts, that are so very often far from neutral.

No comments: