Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Simple Woman's Daybook - Black Dog Edition

 

FOR TODAY, July 26th, 2011...


Outside my window... .

..it's grey, but cool. The oppressive heat and humidity of the past weeks seems to be subsiding and I hope to spend more time outside.


I am thinking...

Churchill's black dog has returned.  I've had a couple of periods of depression over the past ten years and I seem to be in the middle of another. For this reason, I have backed out of the trip to Stockholm that Z and I were planning and he will go alone, to be with his family, on the anniversary of his mother's death. This was not easy for me to do, and I know that it was a significant disappointment to him, but the thought of being away from home for 10 days was simply overwhelming. I need to make some calls and get some advice and counsel. Adjust my meds. More exercise. Keep off alcohol (as I've been doing for a few weeks now) and improve my diet.

 

I am thankful...

for my supportive family, for a husband who understands as best he can, for a sense that my life is valuable.

 

In the kitchen...

...I made Pioneer Woman's delicious meat loaf last night, with potatoes and carrots in the roasting pan. Michael made a meatloaf sandwich for his lunch today, and we had a discussion about why I'd never made meat loaf when he was younger, and how he probably would't have liked it back then!

 

I am wearing...

...my pyjamas. 'Nuff said.

I am creating...

...not a lot these days. Creative projects have fallen by the wayside.

 

I am going...

...to take a long walk with Wilson at Sherwood Park today, in the off-leash area.

 

I am wondering...

...if I will ever lose the habit of putting two spaces after a period when I'm typing. Apparetly, it REALLY annoys some people.

 

I am reading...

...The Untold Story by Monica Ali.  It's a kind of thought-experiment, wherein the author imagines an alternate world where Princess Diana did not die but rather escapes anonymously to the American Midwest and assumes another identity. Riveting! I've loved Ali's previous novels and this one is no exeption. I'm also listening to an audiobook by Elizabeth Peters called Devil-May-Care.  A young woman housesits a haunted mansion belonging to her elderly aunt.  I"ve read a couple of Peter's Egyptian mysteries, and this one seems enjoyable so far.


 

I am hoping...

I am hopeful.

 

I am looking forward to...

...checking things off my to-do list.

 

I am hearing...

...the hum of the air conditioner and the tapping of a mason working on a driveway down the street.

 

Around the house...

 ...I have  few projects on the go. I need to choose a paint colour for the exterior of our stucco and wood trim house and I have some Behr samples to try out.  I need to get a roof repair person in to work on our leaky skylight. And the decluttering continues.

 

I am pondering...

...how to move forward.

 

One of my favorite things...

...eating a popsicle while reading a book.

 

A few plans for the rest of the week:

Getting Michael through his summer school exam (Physics)
Getting Z off on his trip to Stockholm
Getting appointments with my doctor and other helpers.

 

Here is picture for thought I am sharing...

The world lost the great painter Lucian Freud this week.
Requiescat in pacem.

 

No comments: